Guide - How To Identify Fossil Fakes: What You Need To Know
Being able to tell if a fossil is a fake specimen or not is a daunting task, especially for novice collectors. Given the high number of questions with regards to this topic, not only here but also in other forums, I've decided to create a guide to help other collectors. And I've made it available for free obviously. There I have put pictures from specimens I've found during the years, and an extensive reference of dishonest practices that forgers use.
The Most Useful Guide For Spotting Fossil Forgeries
Professional Paleontology Tricks Explained in an Understandable Way
Get your Free Copy: (PDF 2.4 MB)
Table of Contents
- The Fossil Basics
- Fossil Alterations - The Classification
- Before The Fossil is Found
- After the Fossil is Found
- Preparation & Repairs
- Complete Fakes
- How to Confirm or Discard if a Fossil is a Fake - The Checklist
- Provenance and Context
- Taphonomy, Physical Properties and Morphology
- A Visual Guide
- Dinosaur Teeth
- Dinosaur Bones
- Dinosaur Claws
- Mosasaur Jaws
- Final words
- A New "Rainbow" Dinosaur
- The little "Joe"
- Jurassic Dreams collaborates in the study of a new species of Small Sized Theropod ("Raptor")
- Basilosaurus: The Giant Snake.
- The Chubut Titan Without a Name
- The Yeti From 1 Million Years Ago
- The Greatest of the Raptors? Dakotaraptor
- A Terretrial Crocodile with a Lethal Smile
- The Fight For Being The Largest Crocodile
- The Dinosaur with "Terrible Hands"
- Discovered more than 200 Pterosaurian Eggs
- Dinosaur Teeth With Almost Unreal Colors: Why?
- Dinosaur Sounds Unveiled: How Scientists Figured It Out In 8 Facts
- Guide - How To Identify Fossil Fakes: What You Need To Know